Early Childhood Development
Rooted in Relationships
This initiative partners with communities to implement evidence-based practices that enhance the social-emotional development of children, birth through age 8. Their scope of work includes:
- Community Work: Approximately 60 stakeholders connected with additional local partners to develop a long-range plan to support the social-emotional development of young children.
- Pyramid Model Implementation: Community Partners has recently hired 4 coaches to train 14 providers from both in-home and center-based early care and education settings in promoting the social, emotional, and behavioral competence of young children.
- Selection of a Systems Priority: After a year of planning, the Buffalo County Rooted in Relationships team is working to create public awareness for social emotional development for ages 0-8 in all Buffalo County Communities
- Nebraska Children and Families Foundation
- Center For Psychological Services
- Kearney Public Schools
- University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Twin Rivers Public Health Department
- Kearney Area Children’s Museum
- Buffalo County Attorney
- Department of Health and Human Services
- ESU 10
- Midwest Encouragement and Counseling Center
- Head Start
- Families CARE
- Early Development Network
The Second Step social emotional curriculum helps students strengthen their skills in the areas of emotion management, friendship, empathy, conflict resolution, bullying prevention, and substance abuse prevention.
By strengthening these life skills, the HealthyMINDS collaborative hopes to help children grow up in a peaceful, safe environment where they can flourish personally, work constructively with others, and reach their greatest potential.