This year will mark the 27th annual Cruise Nite. While the event itself is great for the Kearney area and provides a plethora of family-friendly events, the post-Cruise Nite parties have grown larger and more violent over the years. Positive Pressure is partnering with the Kearney Police Department; Century 21 and property managers, landlords, and homeowners on 22nd-26th streets; UNK; alcohol retailers; and others to work towards building a better Cruise Nite. Read about some of the work we’re doing to make Cruise Nite safer here.
Safe and Smart Tips for Cruise Nite
Planning a Gathering?
- Check your lease agreement for any regulations against gatherings on the property.
- Be sure to know and obey local ordinances that could affect your gathering (e.g. open consumption, disorderly house, disturbing the peace, etc.).
- Check IDs. No one under the age of 21 should be allowed to obtain or consume an alcoholic beverage.*
- Control access to alcohol. Avoid communal sources such as kegs and punch bowls.*
- Keep the gathering low in numbers. Do not invite unknown guests.
- Offer non-alcoholic drinks such as water or juice as alternatives for your guests.*
- Offer appetizers, snacks, and other food.*
- Discourage competitive drinking.*
- Plan other activities so that drinking alcohol is not the primary focus of the party.*
- Model appropriate behavior for your guests and be sure to communicate that being intoxicated is unacceptable.*
- Do not offer glass bottles on the property.
- Make trash and recycling cans available. Be sure to clean up after yourself and your guests.
- Determine an end time for the party and stick to it.
- Make sure anyone who is visibly intoxicated does not receive any more alcohol and is not left alone. Even if the guest is not driving, and impaired guest can be injured or injure others in many ways, not just in a car.*
- When necessary, provide alternate transportation for impaired guests. Either call a cab or enlist the help of sober friends to take the impaired guests home.*
- If at any time you feel your party is too large or uncontrollable, call the police.
Going to Watch?
- Ask permission to congregate on property that you don’t own.
- Avoid the use of glass bottles and wear appropriate footwear.
- Obey traffic and pedestrian crossing signals.
- Pick up after yourself.
- Be sure to know and obey local ordinances (e.g. open consumption, disorderly house, disturbing the peace, etc.).
- If you consume alcohol, do so responsibly. Be sure to pack non-alcoholic beverages, too.
- Respect all vehicles cruising.
Peers and Parents
- Parents: If your child is underage, supervision is suggested. Talk to your young adults about their plans. Remind them to be safe and be smart.
- Friends: Buddy up. If you drink, do so responsibly. Plan how you will get home, and don’t let your buddy leave without you.
- Don’t go to a gathering where you don’t know the property owner or guests.
- Avoid communal drinking sources, such as kegs or punch bowls.
- Watch for cars and obey traffic/pedestrian laws.
- If you have unwanted people on your property, ask them to leave.
- For disturbances, trespassers, or violators call Kearney Police Department at (308) 237-2104. If it is an emergency, call 911.
- Gather phone numbers from your neighbors and keep watch over each other’s property. Know what you and your neighbor will and won’t tolerate, then call the police if necessary.
- Don’t assume someone else will call the police. If you see something, say something.
*Adapted from materials created by TIPS® (Training for Intervention ProcedureS).
Be Safe, Be Smart/No Trespassing yard Signs
If you would like a yard sign to put up during Cruise Nite, please contact 308-865-2284.